The topic and focus of mental health are slowly becoming a normal part of our society. However, there is still stigma attached to mental disorders and mental illness and it can feel isolating for those living with the troubling symptoms tied with all mental health issues. For those living in the public eye with little to no privacy, it can be even scarier to open up about mental disorders. Here will discuss:
- Celebrities who opened up about their mental health in public
- Different mental disorders such as depression and anxiety
- Rehab centers and the cost of these programs
- How All American Detox Center can help
Mental Disorders/Depression Problems with Celebrities
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), mental disorders are characterized by a significant disturbance in a person’s cognition, behavior or emotional regulation. WHO also reports that 1 in 8 people in the world live with some sort of mental disorder. Mental disorders include:
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Antisocial Disorders
- Neurodevelopment Disorders
Although celebrities appear to the public as having it all; money, fame, luxurious lifestyles, etc., many of them live with mental disorders. Here are 5 celebrities who opened up about their mental disorders in public:
- Demi Lovato: This childhood Disney Channel Star, Demi Lovato has shared about their experience with depression, an eating disorder, addiction, self-harm and eventually was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. At the age of 9, Demi had already developed an eating disorder followed by addiction issues starting in their teen years. Demi was eventually admitted into treatment where they were diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. Demi has sought help and years of treatment and now uses their experience with several mental disorders to be a public advocate for mental health awareness.
- Donny Osmond: Donny Osmond has been a performer for most of his life and it may come as a sock that this celebrity has dealt with social anxiety for most of his career. Donny is a well-known music performer, dancer and has provided years of television entertainment, yet the pressure that came with his fame led him to experience severe panic attacks and constant anxiety. Donnie has shared in interviews that his anxiety and panic was intense he felt he would rather have died than walk onto a stage. Donnie now has sought treatment and support and is also a mental health advocate, stating that when dealing with anxiety and depression, “you are never alone.”
- Lady Gaga: Lady Gaga has been in the public eye since releasing her first hit song in 2008. Since then, she has been climbing the charts, staring in movies and providing mental health and LGBTQA+ advocacy through her social media and at public events. This star has more recently opened up about her experience with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after being raped at the age of 19. Gaga has shared that she lives with her mental disorder every day and uses healthy coping skills and nervous system regulation tools such as meditation to help calm her down when her symptoms are peaking.
- Leonardo DiCaprio: Another shocking celebrity who suffers with a mental disorder is Leonardo DiCaprio. This wildly famous celebrity has shared that he lives with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Leo stared in the film The Aviator, where his character, Howard Hughes, battles with a severe case of OCD and he shared that while filming he did not try to manage his disorder. DiCaprio has shared that he forces himself not to step on every gum stain he sees on the sidewalk or walk through a doorway multiple times even though his disorder wants him to. Leonardo has learned to manage him symptoms but has shared that some days are more challenging than others.
- Adele: This strong female vocalist and Grammy award-winning celebrity has shared more recently that she experienced severe postpartum depression after the birth of her son. Adele has shared that the symptoms of the depression following her childbirth was frightening for her yet she refused to get support. Adele has said that she felt inadequate of being a mother and was scared of hurting the child she loved dearly. Eventually, Adele took time for herself and began chatting with other mothers and she shared that the depressive symptoms started to disappear.
Rehab Center and Cost
Rehab centers are therapeutic programs offered to help those struggling with addiction or substance abuse issues. Rehab centers are offered as either live-in programs (inpatient), or as non-live in, day-to-day treatment programs (outpatient). Rehab is a safe and effective way to be around others in recovery and learn the skills needed to live an alcohol or drug-free life.
But how much do rehab centers cost? According to National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics, the cost of an intensive outpatient program can range from $1,300- $5,700 and the cost of an intensive inpatient program can range from $2,900- $11,000. While these may seem like daunting numbers, many programs offer financial assistance and support.
Get Help at All American Detox Center
All American Detox Center is a top alcohol and drug rehab center located in Los Angeles, California. The treatment plans offered are individualized to each person to ensure all needs are being met. Here, you can live with others in recovery and have 24/7 therapeutic support while battling the cravings and learning the skills to live a sober life. The many highly qualified mental health professionals at All American Detox Center will help you understand your addiction and find ways to manage the temptations while learning to live without the help of drugs or alcohol.
If you or someone you know are fighting an addiction, call All American Detox Center today at (844) 570-1301 to start your journey to sobriety that lasts a lifetime
No comment yet, add your voice below!